Help When You Need It – Health and Wellbeing

A Bristol City Council funded service providing support to tenants living within Brunelcare properties.

Home / Our care /
Help When You Need It – Health and Wellbeing

Help When You Need It – Health and Wellbeing

Who may use the Service?

Help When You Need It is funded by Bristol City Council and is for older people who live within the Bristol boundaries, are over the age of 55 years, and in need of support (including mental health and substance misuse issues).

The Health and Wellbeing team provides support to tenants living within Brunelcare properties.

It is for people who require support to:

  • Maintain accommodation/tenancy or secure accommodation
  • Self-manage physical health and wellbeing
  • Manage mental health and wellbeing
  • Maximise income, reduce debts, or find paid work
  • Prevent loneliness and isolation
  • Stay safe

How we support you

All referrals will be followed up by an assessment visit to determine the type of support you will receive. This will vary based on your individual circumstances, and we will identify your support outcomes and support you to achieve them. The support will be time-limited, the aim of the service is to provide help when it is needed. If you achieve your support outcomes but later need further support, you can make another referral for our service

If you meet the criteria, what support can we offer?

  • Support with overall wellbeing including managing physical and mental health
  • Support with mobility or issues related to frailty
  • Promotion of self-care, and support with life skills, for example, food preparation, advice and prompting on cleaning and hygiene, although we cannot offer personal care
  • Support to identify, access and maintain meaningful activities to prevent loneliness and social isolation, such as timely signposting to local community and activity groups, befriending services, and support to keep in contact with family and friends
  • Support with aspects of maintaining tenancy such as:
    Effective liaison with RSLs regarding tenancy issues/queries: Assistance to maintain the safety of the home and report maintenance issues, minor repairs etc. Income maximisation checks, completing benefit forms, budgeting Moving and resettlement activity including support to source furniture, funding, liaising with utility companies, signing on with GPs. etc
  • Support with maintaining the environment, including referral to Home Improvement Agencies for adaptations and assessments, access to Assistive Technology and Gadgets.
    Support following immediate discharge from hospital, and support to prevent readmission and liaison with social care and outreach agencies
  • Support with finances such as welfare benefits advice and signposting to Money Advice Services (such as BCC’s Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service – WRAMAS) and Citizens Advice
  • Support to feel connected, including support to access the internet and other sources of information
  • Support to access advocacy services
  • Identification and support for carers to prevent carer breakdown

How can you access the service?

Referrals can be made by yourself, a relative, or a professional. Either complete the referral form online below, or download it here HWYNI – Health and Wellbeing – Referral Form to print out and return to us by post or by email. If you require further information before you complete the form, please contact us by phone or email.

When we receive your form, you will be contacted by the Service Coordinator to arrange an assessment visit. When we visit we will confirm whether you are eligible for the service and discuss the level of support you need. Please note that spaces are limited, so you may be placed on a waiting list and prioritised according to your support needs.

Service opening times:
Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm

Tel: 0117 321 5551

Useful resources

Brunelcare – HWYNI Leaflet 2021
Our housing – Brunelcare housing options
Time for You – Bristol-based support service