Cost of living help

With the cost of living increasing across the UK, find out how this affects you and where to receive help with your bills.

Home / Tenant services /
Cost of living help

Last updated: Friday 29 July

Energy bill grant

The UK government is offering a £400 energy bill grant from October 2022 to all households with a domestic electricity connection. Households without a domestic supply contract are therefore not eligible for this scheme.

Many housing associations, like Brunelcare, hold the supply contract with the energy supplier, which means their customers are not eligible. We understand that this news is disappointing and the rising energy costs are concerning.

The government does recognise that some households do not benefit from the same consumer protections as households with a direct domestic supply contract, and we are urging them to review this.

Brunelcare is working with the National Housing Federation on a national campaign urging the government to provide targeted financial support for tenants without a domestic supply contract so they receive the same protection and support as domestic energy customers.

We are encouraging all our customers to write to their local MP to highlight the need for urgent support for those without a domestic supply contract:

Are there other schemes I can apply for to help pay my energy bills?

  • Contact Talking Money for advice, support and information at or ring 0117 954 3990.
  • Bristol’s Support Hub for Older People comprises over 37 organisations working together, offering practical, emotional and social support via their helpline on 0117 929 7537.
  • Citizens Advice also provide support and guidance on grants and benefits. Visit or ring 0808 278 7957.
  • Apply to Bristol City Council for an emergency payment or household goods. Visit or ring 0117 922 2000.

Government cost of living payments

The Government is providing £37 billion this year to help households combat the rising cost of living. Including these cost of living payments:

  • £650 one-off Cost of Living Payment for those on means-tested benefits, which will be paid directly into bank accounts.
  • One-off £300 Pensioner Cost of Living Payment.
  • £150 Disability Cost of Living Payment.
  • £150 rebate in Council tax.

You do not need to apply for Cost of Living payments. If you are eligible, they will be paid automatically in the same way that you usually receive their benefit or tax credits.

Find out more about how you can get help with your bills from the government by visiting

Pension credit

You may be eligible for pension credit, even if you own a home or have savings. Find out more at

We will regularly update this page and our customers on how they can get help with the cost of living.