Will I have to fund my care home place?

The following questions and answers are intended to answer some of the common questions that arise when people are considering funding. i.e. how to pay, for living in a nursing care home.

If you think you will be self-funding your care home place

People with assets over £23,500 will be eligible to fund their own care. Get in touch with our care home manager directly to discuss applying for a care home place.

If you are unsure that you can self-fund your care home place:
People should seek advice such as requesting a Local Authority financial assessment to determine funds available and how long this funding is likely to last.

What if the person seeking a care home place is under Legal Power of Attorney (LPA) or Court of Protection Deputyship (CPD) ?

If the person requiring a care home place does not have mental capacity, then NOK (next of kin or significant other) will only be able to access funds to pay for care if they have these legal rights in place regarding property and affairs.

How do I find out if I have access to care home services funding?

To help with care home costs, there are funding streams such as Continuing Healthcare Funding (CHC).

NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding (CHC)

Consider whether there is funding available for your continued nursing care. Some people with long-term complex health needs qualify for free social care arranged and funded solely by the NHS. This is known as NHS continuing healthcare.

In order to receive NHS continuing healthcare ‘CHC’ funding, individuals have to be assessed by Integrated care boards, known as ICBs (the NHS organisations that commission local health services).

Find out more about the assessment process at: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/money-work-and-benefits/nhs-continuing-healthcare/

Note: This information is up-to-date as of August 2022.

Related pages