What to do if you smell gas
- Turn off your mains gas supply
- Turn off all gas appliances
- Open doors and windows to get rid of the gas
- Once outside, phone the Gas Emergency Helpline 0800 111 999
- Use matches, naked flames or cigarettes
- Use electrical switches (do not turn on your lights)
- Use mobile phones inside the building
Annual gas safety check and service
It is important that gas boilers and other gas appliances in your home are checked and serviced regularly to ensure that they are safe for you to use. Faulty appliances could lead to carbon monoxide poisoning or an explosion. We arrange for gas safe engineers to check and service your gas appliances and they will also test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
When your annual safety check is due we will phone you to arrange a convenient date and time for the inspection, at least a week in advance. It would be very helpful if you could give as much notice as possible if for any reason you will be unable to make that appointment, contacting us to make another appointment for you.
If the engineer is unable to gain access to your property at the arranged time they will leave a card with their phone number so that you can contact Brunelcare’s Housing Team to make a new appointment.
Because it is so important for your safety that these checks are made, if our engineer is unable to gain access to your property at the time of a second appointment they will place a warning label on your door as well as leaving a card with their phone number. Please make contact to arrange another appointment as soon as possible.
If we smell gas or are concerned for your welfare we will take emergency action to protect your health and safety and that of your neighbours.
If an appointment we have made is inconvenient please call 0117 952 3373 to arrange a more suitable date and time
If you are concerned about a gas appliance call us at any time on 0117 952 3373 or 0300 333 6511 if you are calling out of hours.
Carbon monoxide kills
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas but you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. This deadly gas can be produced by appliances that burn gas, oil, coal or wood if they are not working properly and the room is not well ventilated.
What you can do to ensure your health and safety
- Allow us access to your home to carry out an annual check and service of all your gas appliances.
- Always use a Gas Safe Registered engineer when you have gas appliances fitted, repaired or serviced.
- Make sure your home is properly ventilated and never block flues or paper over air vents.
- If you are buying a carbon monoxide alarm or detector make sure it is marked EN50291. However, never rely entirely on these devices.
Your own gas appliances
If you have fitted any gas appliances they will be checked and serviced each year to make sure that they are safe. However we will pass on to you the costs of any repairs necessary as a result of our inspection.
Brunelcare only use Gas Safe Registered engineers for any work being carried out on gas appliances.
Again, if you are concerned about a gas appliance call us at any time on 0117 952 3373 or 0300 333 6511 if you are calling out of hours.