Plaque dedicated at Emmanuel Court to mark Agatha Christie's 1914 wedding

6th Mar 2024 - Written by Brunelcare

Reading time: 3 minutes

A plaque has been installed at our Emmanuel Court housing site to mark the place where Dame Agatha Christie married her first husband 100 years ago.

On Saturday 2nd March, guests gathered at Brunelcare’s Emmanuel Court for the dedication of a commemorative plaque provided by the Clifton and Hotwells Improvement Society (CHIS), to mark the site of Dame Agatha Christie’s first wedding in 1914.

The plaque was dedicated by Peaches Golding OBE, Lord Lieutenant of Bristol, and was followed by a short talk from Tim Sullivan, film and television director, screenwriter and crime novelist.

The plaque represents the marriage of Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller and Captain Archibald Christie, who married at Emmanuel Church on Christmas Eve in 1914. Through this first marriage, she acquired the surname Christie, which she kept throughout the rest of her career.

Michelle Richards, Brunelcare’s Operations Director of Housing Services said: “It was a pleasure to be present at the dedication of the plaque that represents so much history. It’s a true honour that one of our Brunelcare sites is now a part of that history!”

Though Emmanuel Church closed down in 1974, the church tower survives through our Emmanuel Court housing site. Following the closure of the church, the site was converted into accommodation for older people in Bristol and was officially opened by the Duchess of Kent in February 1982. We retained the old church tower as part of the building, which now houses the commemorative plaque.

We are proud to be able to display a piece of 100-year-old history at our Brunelcare site.