Help When You Need It – Community

A Bristol City Council funded service for those aged over 55 years and in need of support.

Home / Our care /
Help When You Need It – Community

Help When You Need It

Who may use the Service?
Help When You Need It is funded by Bristol City Council and is for older people who live within the Bristol boundaries,  are over the age of 55 years, and in need of support (including mental health and substance misuse issues). This service is available to tenants not living in a Brunelcare property.

It is for people who require support to:

  • Maintain accommodation/tenancy or secure accommodation
  • Self manage physical health and wellbeing
  • Manage mental health and wellbeing
  • Maximise income, reduce debts, or find paid work
  • Prevent loneliness and isolation
  • Stay safe

How we support you
All referrals will be followed up by an assessment visit to determine the type of support you will receive. This will vary based on your individual circumstances, and we will identify outcomes and support you to achieve them. It can be time limited, but the aim of the service is to provide help when it is needed. If you reach your outcomes but later need further support, you can re-refer.

If you meet the criteria, what support can we offer?

  • Support with overall wellbeing, including managing physical and mental health
  • Support with mobility or issues related to frailty
  • Promotion of self care, and support with life skills for example, food preparation, advice and prompting on cleaning and hygiene, although we cannot offer personal care
  • Support to identify, access and maintain meaningful activities to prevent loneliness and social isolation, such as timely signposting to local community and activity groups, befriending services, and support to keep in contact with family and friends.
  • Support with aspects of maintaining tenancy such as:
    Effective liaison with RSLs regarding tenancy issues/queries:
    Assistance to maintain the safety of the home and report maintenance issues, minor repairs etc.
    Income maximisation checks, completing benefit forms, budgeting
    Moving and resettlement activity including support to source furniture, funding, liaising with utility companies, signing on with GPs. etc.
  • Support with maintaining the environment, including referral to Home Improvement Agencies for adaptations and assessments, access to Assistive Technology and Gadgets.
  • Support following immediate discharge from hospital, and support to prevent readmission and liaison with social care and outreach agencies.
  • Support with finances such as welfare benefits advice and signposting to Money Advice Services (such as BCC’s Welfare Rights and Money Advice Service – WRAMAS) and Citizens Advice.
  • Support to feel connected, including support to access the internet and other sources of information.
  • Support to access advocacy services.
  • Identification and support for carers to prevent carer breakdown.

How can you access the Service?
Referrals can be made by yourself, a relative or a professional. Either complete the referral form online below, or download it here HWYNI – Referral Form to print out and return to us by post. If you require further information before you complete the form, please contact us by phone or email.

When we receive your form you will be contacted by the Service Coordinator to arrange an assessment visit. When we visit we will confirm whether you are eligible for the service and discuss the level of support you need. Please note that spaces are limited, so you may be placed on a waiting list and prioritised according to your degree of need.

Service opening times:
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm

Tel: 0117 428 1274

Useful resources

Brunelcare – HWYNI Leaflet 2021
Our housing – Brunelcare housing options
Time for You – Bristol based support service